Friday, February 4, 2011

Straws

Thanks to Beth Terry of My Plastic Free Life, I got motivated today to buy glass straws to take with us on our trip to Florida in 3 weeks.  She also has inspired me to make holders for re-usable utensils that we can take with us (a slot for the straw will be there, too).  I'll post pictures when I have them made.

I bought the straws from Dharma Glass out of Mendicino, CA.  They have a wide variety and a lifetime guarantee. 

I also ordered bamboo toothbrushes this year and now feel much better about brushing my teeth.  The bamboo brushes are completely biodegradeable as is all the packaging that they come in. 

I don't know about you, but until fairly recently, I didn't ever think about drinking straws, plastic utensils or toothbrushes.  But now I think about such things all the time.  Think of all the plastic toothbrushes that go into our landfills.  Okay, they're small, but a lot of small things can make a big mess.  I read somewhere today (the Dharma Glass website as a matter of fact) that McDonald's sells 52 million meals each day - and apparently each meal goes out with a plastic straw.  Just think about that for a minute.

Our trip to Florida is going to be a challenge with regards to lessening our plastic use, but I'm for sure going to try.  Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. Did you order the toothbrushes from Australia? What were the shipping costs like? I think I may do this, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha, I just saw that it is $12 shipping. :)

    ReplyDelete