Thursday, January 12, 2012

Up from the depths

So ... in cleaning out my basement, a few things have emerged from the dark depths and come up to the light.

In an incredible coincidence, a friend of mine blogged the other day about a printer's drawer she had bought and hung on her wall.  I have had a printer's drawer in my posession for probably 15 years and had always intended on hanging it - had leaned it for a few years, but after the last move it went to the basement and stayed there.  When I started on the basement last week I thought I should really move it upstairs and finally hang it, but it was Erin's post that got me to move.  So yesterday I bought hooks and chain and here it is:



Some of the little trinkets are from my childhood and will likely get put back into a box somewhere after I find better items to fill the slots.


As a side note, one of the reasons I love the printer's drawers is because my great-grandfather was a compositor - he was the guy who set all the type backwards - so he would have taken letter blanks out of a drawer similar to this one.  It makes me feel closer to my ancestors.

2 comments:

  1. omigod, Sandi, you won't believe this. I bought one of these at an antique store in Donalda last summer. I had no idea what it was - I just liked it!! It's hanging in my bedroom as a mirror/wall decoration.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mine actually has a mirror inserted behind the slats...probably done much later on, or even just to sell it.

    ReplyDelete