Thursday, January 6, 2011

Inspired to get rid of the crap

A friend sent me this link on Facebook the other day.  It's an article about a family in California who decided they'd had it will all the stuff in their lives and they simplified.  I got inspired.

I've been railing at the mess in our house for some time now.  Let me clarify here - my husband is a very neat and tidy person.  His motto is "a place for everything and everything in it's place".  He compromised when he married me (in a very big way).  I'm a collector of crap, an untidy person who finds it hard to let go of anything.  Therefore, the mess in OUR house is entirely MINE (and our 7-year-old son - who has learned from the best).

So it's time.  I've worked through some issues that have kept me tied to a lot of the "stuff" in our house, I'm tired of being bogged down by crap, and I'm ready to purge.  As a coincidence, I've also recently come to the conclusion that being open and honest about stuff is the best way to live, so I'm sharing. 

I also thought this would be a good forum within which to discuss environmental issues (because reducing is a big part of saving the planet), so that is why I've decided to do this in a temporary and different blog than Rennaisance Woman.  This one will be a blog for the duration of the project (however long that lasts).  I will do before and after photos, post pics of some of the stuff I'm getting rid of (feel free to ask for anything that you'd liek), and basically take you through the process with me.

I'm not going to get rid of everything.  I'll keep my great-grandmother's china that has yet to be taken out of the box at this house, for instance.  But the extra set of plate that are sitting in a box in the basement and that we will never use again - they go. 

I have to admit that I've already started the process - only just minimally.  A few books are sitting on the floor ready to be donated, and I've take a few chotskies out of the china cabinet.  But other than that, this is a clean slate.

So here we go.  Wish me luck.  Photos and plans to follow.

2 comments:

  1. Yard sale come good weather! Free Cycle (got that up there?)! Craig's List! Best cure for clutter is to move abroad and have to ship everything you want to take air freight or pay to store it. That'll cure you!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found the article inspiring too, which is why I sent it your way! Though it's more extreme than I'm willing to go, I need to get rid of stuff. I sense a weekend full of purging coming up for me sometime soon.

    Give the coffee cups to the museum, maybe? If they're anything like my school, we always run out of mugs.

    ReplyDelete